Saturday, May 7, 2011

What I have learned

I have been house sitting for my sister for the last few months - I would like to share a few things I have learned being the surrogate mother to three dogs - approx. 4 cats- inside fish - in a giant Aquarium- and outside fish - in an outside watering trough- (hence the word outside fish v.s. inside fish just in case you were confused) the same is true for the approximation in the number of cats- inside v.s. outside. Oh and we also act as an ersatz nature preserve, living on 5 acres in the country- and by the country I mean more than 10 minutes to the nearest Starbucks.  So this means as spring has been descending on us in the Gulf coast- with its heavy clammy hand - we gets lots of critters- birds, which are really pushy if you don't get the feeders - ( 6 including two hummingbird feeders) stocked regularly and promptly, various small amphibians; frogs, geckos, reptiles i.e. anoles , oh and snakes did i mention snakes? We don't feed the snakes directly but they do monitor the health and population of the other animals here in our little corner of paradise 
So in caring for the dogs - one of which is 130 pounds- yes that is not a typo - 130 pounds of sweet dogginess- I have learned that:
A) that Cesar fellow is full of  shite- no matter how much I maintain my "calm pack leader 'tude"- when you are late for work and the dogs are playing "oh I've changed my name and now you must guess it for me to return inside the house", game it's really hard to maintain that cool demeanor.
B) there is not too much grosser than observing one of your beloved pets eating/rolling and otherwise enjoying (read: acting like a frigging hyena for Gods' sake) the carcass of some dead mammal object- If I was really the pack leader - they would bring that foul object to me - and respectfully drop it at my feet. Now all three of these dogs will drop on command things like; paper towel rolls, socks, and other household items that might find their way into their sweet doggie mouths- but drop the dead - squirrel/raccoon/possum remains - and it's, no way boss, they are all like, White Fang- and "Do we know you?"
C) Be careful what you wish for - bless their canine hearts - they did bring the carcass to me - a few hours later in a nice gooey pile on the dining room floor- After they had thrown it up !!!-and you thought seeing them enjoy it was gross - after about 45 minutes of , "what's that smell ,and where in Jesus sweet name is it coming from ?"  Well *sigh*- let's just say some of us were scarred.
And in closing- I have also learned that love comes in many forms.  At the end of my day when I come in the house and am greeted by the menagerie, I feel loved , needed, secure and home, and I really miss my sister.
p.s. does anyone have any tips for getting possum stains out of carpet? thanx in advance

No comments: